Pregnancy for me was pretty great but I should have known that it was just the tip of the iceberg. I thought that being pregnant gave me the license to wear granny panties and I loved pants with elastic bands. A second helping of ice cream was encouraged and people always tell you that you look cute even when you don't.
If you read back to "my biggest fears" post, you'll see that my fears were all kinds of horrific things happening to my body during the labor. Most of which happened to me. Stretch marks. Check. Hemorroids. Check. Poop during labor. I'm 90% sure I didn't but still horrifying to think about.
Then comes bringing my sweet baby Charlie home from the hospital. A few weeks into my maternity leave I realized that if I laugh too hard, I might regret it if you know what I mean. It became common place for Brian to come home to me pumping on the couch with Charlie sleeping next to me. Our relationship went way past it only being somewhat comfortable to pee with the door open! There were no secrets anymore!
I reached the new low of how unglamorous motherhood really is last weekend. I was at my friend Erin's parents' house because we were getting our boys together in Des Moines. I was sitting on the floor upstairs in her room pumping before we left and in walks HER HUSBAND. The next few minutes are kind of hazy because I think I blacked out a little bit. It's one thing to walk in on someone changing but it's quite different to walk in when someone is pumping - that is something no one should see!! I was mortified. But we all laughed about it later even though it definitely is in my top 3 of embarassing moments!
Anywho - we've had a fun and busy last few weeks. We had some friends over for Memorial Day to help break in our new grill (Happy early Father's Day Brian.) After the party, Charlie was exhuasted and had to take a nap with Daddy on the couch. (Sasha was tired too.)


Here is a picture of Charlie taking a nap. At night we still swaddle him because I think he sleeps better but during the day we just lay him down and he loves to spread out!

Charlie also got to attend his first Twins game. It was very fun even though the Twins lost. Not every kid can say they saw the Yankees play during their very first major league baseball game. Charlie was great during the game - just watched everything and chatted away.
I thought that after going through labor and delivery, any amount of dignity and modesty would have been ripped from me. But I was wrong. I do have a shred of modesty left in me. It was bad enough for my best friend’s husband to see me pumping but the Twins game brought to a whole new level. I had heard that this brand new multi million dollar facility had a “mother’s room.” So at our first game, Charlie and I decided to give it a whirl. I walked down to guest services and was shown to a very small, stuffy room that had no circulation and the only furniture was a few old desks and chairs that I’m positive came over from the Metrodome. There were no partitions so you literally sit elbow to elbow with the other moms while sitting in the stifiling hot room. Thankfully there was a TV so we had somewhere to focus our eyes! The worst part is that there is a 75 year old man who sits at guest services and shows all the moms back to the room. But when he does, he opens the door as wide as he can without knocking and then covers his eyes while cackling “I’m not looking, hehe. I’m not looking, hehe.” It’s pretty special. By the end, I was hot and Charlie was dripping sweat and we both agreed to bring bottles to the rest of the games!

A few weeks ago I was honored to stand up in my BFF Meggie's wedding. Megan is a very detailed person. I remember going over to her house in high school and she would have an erase board with all of the outfits she was going to wear for the week including matching socks and accessories. So it was no surprise that her wedding was absolutely meticulously planned and every detail was beautiful.

As you can probably tell, I went spray tanning a few days before the wedding. I loved how it turned out but maybe I should have told Brian and Charlie to do it too! After I got home from spray tanning, I realized that it kind of stays wet and sticky for a few hours. Brian got out an old sheet and put it on the floor and wouldn't let me sit on any of the furniture all night. He even made me lay on that sheet when we went to bed. I also wasn't allowed to hold or feed Charlie - he was worried about it rubbing off and we'd have an orange oompa loompa looking baby.


My parents also came to the wedding so they were able to take Charlie back to the hotel once the reception really got started. At one point Megan's Aunt Sally came over to hold Charlie and I thought my mom was going to rip him out of her arms. Apparently she doesn't like to share "my Charlie" as she calls him.

Before the rehearsal we got the babies together. The little lady on the left is Erin's sister's baby Layna who was born in December. Declan is just 2 weeks older than Charlie.

Here are the 4 of us with the babies. This was right after "the incident" so I think my face is red more from blushing than the spray tanning.

These pictures are a few weeks late and Charlie's 4 month appt is right around the corner! I can't wait to get a check up on his measurements. Some new developments this month have been:
- grabbing for toys and trying to bring them to his mouth
- grabbing onto his feet for just a few seconds
- he's talking and laughing up a storm - sometimes he squeals which makes us laugh and Sasha gets concerned
- follows everything with his eyes and when Brian or I walk away, he cranes his neck to follow where we are going
I bought these "not socks" leg warmer things when I was pregnant thinking Charlie could wear them all the time. Now that they fit, it seems weird to put him in them and there is no way Brian would take him anywhere with them on but I had to at least have him wear them once! (I do have 5 other pairs though..)




Whew, you can post sister. I need to remember to clear my schedule next time I start reading one. So, I'm gonna ask the obvious question . . . if that's in the top three embarrasing moments, can you tell us the other two?
ReplyDelete